Selected Client Projects
For a complete listing of my work, please contact me directly.
Game Designer • Floating City
Game design and writing for Floating City, a browser-based trading game set in a dieselpunk post-apocalyptic world, to promote the Thomas Dolby album A Map of the Floating City.
Lead Writer & Co-Game Designer • America 2049
Game design and writing for America 2049, a transmedia Facebook game set in a dystopian future, with human rights group Breakthrough.
Writer & Experience Designer • Drunk and On Drugs
Experience design, copy and scriptwriting for The Drunk and on Drugs Happy Funtime Hour Quest, a promotion for the show of the same name, with Stitch Media.
Copywriter • The Maester's Path
Copywriting and interaction design for Campfire Media's marketing campaign for the HBO show Game of Thrones.
Lead Interaction Designer • Ready for the Big Chill
Interactive design for an alternate reality game about the dangers of unmonitored volcanoes with Red Magma Media.
Lead Writer & Game Designer • The 2012 Experience
Game and interactive design and writing for the 2012 Experience, a marketing campaign for the blockbuster Roland Emmerich film.
Ad Hoc Polymath • Mind Candy
Writing, design, and production for Perplex City. Writing, event planning, website design, communicating with press, media planning and placement, puzzle design, voice acting, project management, and more.
- Drunk and On Drugs won a Canadian Screen Award for Best Cross-Platform Fiction Project in March 2013 and a Digi Award for Best in Digital Advertising in November of 2011.
- America 2049 was nominated for the Games for Change Transmedia award and a Katerva award in May 2010.
- Routes won the 2010 IVCA Gold in the Web 2.0 category, and also took the Grand Prix, in March 2010.
- Routes won a BIMA in the Interactive - Content category in Nov. 2009. The project was also shortlisted in the categories of Online - Website, Informational, and Children's - Interactive.
- Routes won the Prix Jeunesse International 2010 Interactivity Award.
- Routes won the Broadband Digital Award in 2010 for Best Content Partnership.
- Routes was also shortlisted for a 2009 BAFTA in Nov. 2009; a 2010 MediaGuardian Innovation Award for Use of Web Platforms in March 2010; and a UK Writer's Guild award in Nov. 2009.
- Frozen Indigo Angel was nominated for a Radio Academy Edge Innovation Award in 2007.
- Perplex City was shortlisted for a BAFTA in the Best Video Game category in Aug. 2006.
- Perplex City received an Origins Vanguard Innovation Award in 2005.
- Chairman of the International Game Developers Association's Special Interest Group on Alternate Reality Games May 2009 – May 2010. Leadership Council Member and Founding Member of the SIG from Dec. 2005 to present.
- Moderator of Cloudmakers, a 6000-member ARG community. This community, founded in May 2000, collaboratively played The Beast, a cross-media interactive campaign produced by Microsoft, marketing the film A.I.
- Founding member of the Transmedia Artists Guild.
Writing on Games
- Second Nature, "The Sims: Building a Trellis for Stories," Dec. 2009.
- ISMAR, "Games in AR: Types and Technologies," Oct. 2009.
- IGDA ARG SIG, "Methods and Mechanics" section of the White Paper, Nov. 2006.
- Gamasutra, "Soapbox: ARGs and How to Appeal to Female Gamers," Nov. 2005.
- Cloudmakers.org, The Trail, substantial contributor, May - July 2001.
- Cloudmakers.org, Deep Water, July 2001.
Interviews & Talks
- Consequence of Sound, "Interview: Thomas Dolby and Andrea Phillips," July 2011.
- Spark on CBC Radio, "Web Consciousness, Unitasking, and Transmedia Trickery," May 2011.
- IFP/Power to the Pixel Cross-Media Forum, "Extending Your Story," Apr. 2011.
- SXSWi 2011, "Hoax or Transmedia? The Ethics of Pervasive Fiction," Mar. 2011.
- DIY Days 2011, "The Ethics of Transmedia," Mar. 2011.
- ARGfest, "Revisiting the Hot Brunette," July 2010.
- Foo Camp, "Transmedia and the Future of Entertainment," June 2010.
- ARGNetCast, "Hoaxes, Trust, and Facebook," May 2010.
- MIT Storytelling 3.0 Conference, Interlocutor for "Case Study 3: Valemont: A Branded Transmedia Experience," March 2010.
- SXSWi 2010, ARGs and Women: Moving Beyond the Hot Brunette, Mar. 2010.
- ISMAR 2009, "AR Games: Types and Technologies," Oct. 2009.
- Indy Film Wisconsin, Andrea Phillips Deus Ex Machinatio!, Sept. 2009.
- ARG Netcast, Episode 83: Andrea Phillips Tells All, Apr. 2009.
- The Guardian, “An alternative way to play with real-world problems," by Anne Wollenberg, July 2008.
- The Escapist, "Wrapped Inside A Mystery In An Engima: Perplex City Revisited," by Shannon Drake, Feb. 2007.
- The Escapist, "Breaking the Fourth Wall," by Shannon Drake, June 2006.
- LA Times, "Studios Turning to Elaborate Internet Games for Promotion," by Monty Phan, July 2001.
- CNN, "Reality blurs, hype builds with Web 'A.I.' game," by Daniel Sieburg, June 2001.